Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Intermission


I accidentally/ purposefully took a nice little two-week hiatus from the cycling. I was in a play, I was switching jobs, my dad was out of town, etc. etc.

Excuses!!!

No more.

We are back and better than ever, like Divo's new album. OK, bad example.

On Monday we did our old stand-by: River Road.
I refuse to ride River Road again and I will tell you why.
1 - Too easy! We're so beyond that now. I think the whole thing is only 12 miles. And on the way back I was SAILING!
2 - Bugs. Remember in the Old Testament when God gets angry and sends bugs to prove to Pharaoh that he's God? Yea, they are all in my mouth. I guess that's what happens in the humidity that is Virginia in the late afternoon whilst cycling next to a river. (The name "River Road" is surprisingly accurate).
3 - Rednecks. I'm sorry if you live on River Road and are reading this. Who am I kidding, you're probably too drunk to make sense of the letters. I find myself feeling self-conscious as I rode past the scantily-clad men and their beer guzzling women. Maybe that's why I did the ride so fast.

Then tonight we rode 20 miles! It was beautiful. Amazing scenery, weather more akin to a cool April evening, and only one near-death encounter with a deer. The going was a little slow, but I felt great! We got to ten miles and I felt as though I could keep going. It was getting dark, though, and we both had calculus waiting for us at home (I'm taking an independent study class and my dad is teaching a course at VMI, but it was actually my homework that was waiting for him). We called it a night and then I got a short but vehement lecture from my friend about my lack of blogging.

So I'm back and full of every intention to continue blogging. If my past is any indication of the regularity you will enjoy, then I'm sorry. But, hey! Maybe I'll surprise you, like I was surprised when the speedometer on my bike magically worked today: unexpected, but a lovely addition to the ride.

ps- leave comments because I'm pretty sure only my mom is reading this and if that's true, I can just tell her all this in person.

2 comments:

  1. Because I am, in fact, leaving you a comment, which means that I read this delightful post, I expect you to respond in kind by checking out my blog from time to time--

    realmofthepachyderm.blogspot.com

    I'm glad you're having a bicycle-tastic summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading it! I saw your link on Facebook.

    My blog: lifeofklouise.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete