Monday, February 1, 2010

The First

My dad and I have made a goal to cycle across our home state of Virginia this summer. Mostly as a way to get healthy, but also for some quality bonding time as I will be graduating from college next spring and this is hopefully* and probably my last summer at home.

We're not in the best of shape and I haven't actually been on a moving bike in over ten years. My dad is a pretty good bike-rider and is not unaccustomed to riding 20 miles is a day. I, however, am scared to death of not being able to control my bike at all and am sometimes plagued at night by nightmares of rolling down a hill, quickly gaining speed and running into a brick wall or a large body of water or a really pointy fence.

Since I live in Utah now for school, we are unable to train together until May. Also, I don't actually have a bike out here. My only form of preparation, therefore, is cycling/spinning classes at the gym and trying to eat healthier. Anyone who has lived in a tiny apartment with five other girls sharing one teeny tiny fridge and working twelve hours a week getting paid minimum wage and taking a horrible schedule of classes, you understand that this is no small task.

This is the reason for the blog. Maybe no one will read this but my mom**, but being accountable to this blog I will get the motivation to continue trying to get ready for this daunting task. As I go I'll tell you things I've learned from my preparations and new developments to the plan.

Wish me luck and Happy Cycling!
__________________
* Because hopefully I'll be employed somewhere
** Even that is a stretch

6 comments:

  1. Amy! I'm reading, and I can't wait to hear about your cycling adventures.

    P.S. I think what you and your dad are doing is SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is great!! I think it'll be a great motivator for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read it :) Love you my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read it! good luck... of course that's coming from a guy who earlier this day also blogged about bike riding and his inability to do so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading and following.
    Good luck my lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amy-- This is too cool. I would love to ride my bike across VA as well. You'll have to give me tips about it. That's nice you've got a Dad to help you out along the way.

    My healthy dream is to run the VA 10 miler, because it's something I've grown up with an it goes right past my (and your) street in LBG. It's hard to stay motivated in cold weather because I dislike the treadmill. But if I revitalize my dream, I'll start blogging too. Good luck, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete